The History of Nailcote Hall
Nailcote Hall is a small English stately home, built in 1640 just before the start of the English Civil War. Its name is believed to be derived from the Norman French word for armourer. It is thought the land may have been granted to the first owner for assistance given during the conquest of William the Conqueror in the eleventh century. The house was damaged during the English Civil War by Cromwell’s troops before the assault on Kenilworth Castle. A bill was sent to the Parliamentarians which, perhaps surprisingly, was paid. During its long history, the house passed into other hands, mainly through marriage. The Lant family made it their home for some 300 years. Over the centuries the property has been restored and altered. When restoration work was carried out in the recent years, a priest hole was discovered between the breakfast room, now the Oak Room restaurant and the hall. In 1780 the house was altered and the Georgian wing was added.
In 1984 the hall was opened as a restaurant and won its guide listings the following year. In 1989 a new extension to the hotel was opened providing an additional twenty bedrooms and a new function room and library.
The present owner bought the house in 1991 and two years later work began to add a new leisure complex to the old wall garden area. Building mainly below ground, the development includes many of the excellent facilities the hotel offers today.